- Project name: Pro-poor and sustainable solid waste management in secondary cities and small towns
- Donor: UNESCAP
- Project period: 2011 – 2016
- Project area: Kon Tum City and Quy Nhon City
In Quy Nhon
- 1,300 households in Nhon Ly commune, Quy Nhon City
- 600 house-holds in Nhon Phu ward, Quy Nhon City
- 7 schools and 1 hotel in Quy Nhon City
- Communicators in Nhon Ly and Nhon Phu
- Leaders and workers in Nhon Phu IRRC
In Kon Tum
- 3200 households in Quang Trung ward
- 48 communicators in Quang Trung ward
- Leaders and workers of Kon Tum IRRC
- Project partners:
In Quy Nhon
- Quy Nhon Municipal People’s Committee
- CITENCO Quy Nhon
- Project Management Board in Nhon Ly and Nhon Phu PC
In Kon Tum
- Kon Tum Municipal People’s Committee
- URENCO Kontum
- Project Management Board in Quang Trung ward, Kontum Province
- Project main objectives:
- Reduce waste brought to the landfill and improve waste collection services through the effective operation of the IRRC;
- Ensure the separation of waste at source among households and main markets in the cities;
- Ensure the steady supply of source-separate organic municipal solid waste which is collected and separately transported to the IRRC, to reach the capacities of IRRCs per day as soon as possible;
- Operate the IRRC in accordance to the business plan so as to ensure its financial sustainability.
- Expected results:
- Staff of the IRRC, People’s Committee and Urban Management Companies of the selected cities have increased capacity to operate an IRRC and promote sustainable solid waste management.
- A five-year strategic plan for waste separation at source in Kon Tum is adopted and stakeholders’ participation is mobilized to ensure the achievement of short-term objectives
- A three-to-five-ton-per-day Integrated Resource Recovery Centre (IRRC) has been built and is operational in Kon Tum.
- IRRC in Nhon Phu, Quy Nhon has been improved and is operating at full capacity.
- Households segregate waste before collection and collection and transfer of waste are improved in Nhon Ly, Quy Nhon.
- A five-year strategic plan for waste separation at source in Quy Nhon is adopted and stakeholders’ participation is mobilized to ensure the achievement of short-term objectives
- Project is well documented and lessons learned can be shared.